Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul Newman

One of cinema's most legendary icons passed away recently - Paul Newman. His name is one that is as recognizable as his face. He has acted in some legendary movies: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Hustler (with Jackie Gleason), and The Color of Money to name just a few. I can go on and on with Newman films as his cinematic resume is long and distinguished, but two movies I'd like to recommend to the casual viewer are Fort Apache, The Bronx and The Sting.

Fort Apache is a gritty 70's cop, buddy movie with Newman and Ken Wahl. You also have some acting heavyweights such as Danny Aiello, Ed Asner, and Pam Grier. I've enjoyed this movie ever since I first watched it when I was a kid growing up in the Bronx...one of my faves...

The Sting is, what I believe, Newman's second pairing with Robert Redford. The quintessential con movie which won The Academy Award - certainly worth watching.

I can not recommend these two movies enough...

No comments: