Thursday, October 23, 2008

"3:10 to Yuma" Movie Review

From September 2007....


Hello everyone and welcome once again to my movie review! I am glad to know that there are people out there that actually read these and enjoy them. Honestly, if no one read them, I would still write them. But a big fat "THANK YOU" to all those who read and enjoy these reviews!

This review is for none other than "3:10 to Yuma." OK, let me say something about the western genre of movies. I didn't get into westerns until maybe 2000. It was definitely after I left the military before I took an interest in the genre. Until that time, one of my favorite movies was "Youngs Guns," a very slick western for Gen-X'ers. But there was one movie I watched, practically the only western I watched and that was "Tombstone." If you haven't watch "Tombstone," I implore you to watch it. Nothing but acting heavyweights in the movie based on a true story. You have Powers Boothe, Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Bill Paxton, Sam Elliott, Michael Biehn, Jason Priestly, Billy Zane, Charlton Heston, Michael Rooker, and up-and comers Billy Bob Thornton and Thomas Haden Church. But what, in my opinion, made this movie magical is Val Kilmer playing Doc Holliday. A role which should have garnered him the academy award, or at least a nomination. If nothing else, watch this movie just because of Val Kilmer's role. It's what acting is all about.

"3:10 to Yuma" is a damn good movie. I would say that it is one notch below "Tombstone." Christian Bale simply does not make bad movies. Pair him up with Russell Crowe and then just watch them take over. Seriously, with Bale and Crowe in a movie, you wouldn't need any other actor. The best parts of "Yuma" was the interaction between Bale and Crowe. But the character to watch out for in this movie is that of Charlie Prince played by Ben Foster. This guy is scary! If you don't know who Ben Foster is, check him out in "Hostage" with Bruce Willis, "Alpha Dog," or the HBO series "Six Feet Under." Also, there is a great cameo by Luke Wilson in this film. This is a highly recommended movie and well worth the money spent to see it.

If you happen to need a few recommendations of great westerns, check out: "Unforgiven," directed by Clint Eastwood. "Silverado, with the always reliable Kevin Kline (who def should make a lot more movies), and any western with Clint Eastwood such as "A Fistful of Dollars," "For a Few Dollars More," and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." And for those of you out there that are like, "I don't do westerns..." just remember, the mind is like a parachute...it only works when it is open. That goes the same for you out there that are like, "I don't do black and white movies..." I simply hate when people tell me that because some of the best movie are in black and white. I challenge anyone to tell me that "Tombstone" or "Casablanca" is not a good movie or that it wasn't enjoyed when watched......of course, westerns and black-and-whites are an acquired taste. Hit me up with any recommendations in either genre aside from the ones already mentioned.

TRIVIA: Name two movies that starred both Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman???

HIt me up with any questions, comments, or trivia....Boat Drinks!!!

No comments: