Friday, October 17, 2008

Gods and Generals

Where the hell do I begin with this one? Well, I few years ago I saw this gem of a movie called "Gettysburg." A beautiful and stunning Civil War movie with a who's who of actors and as I am a huge fan of ensemble film I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it very much. But, what I really enjoyed about "Gettysburg" was one actor's role and that actor is Jeff Daniels. Daniels is well known for his role in "Dumb and Dumber," but if you haven't watched him in a dramatic role, I implore to run and see a movie with him that is not "Dumb and Dumber." ("Gettysburg," one of my personal faves, "The Lookout," or "Traitor") Daniels is an absolutely superb actor. In Gettysburg he plays Colonel Lawrence Chamberlain, a college professor turned soldier (who I can't help but to think was the inspiration for Tom Hanks character in "Saving Private Ryan"). The most intense scene in "Gettysburg," is one in which Chamberlain's unit is being repeatedly attacked, running low on ammo, and Chamberlain steadfastly refuses to retreat. I will never forget how I felt when Chamberlain decided to, "Order the men to fix bayonets!" Unbelievable!

Not too long after I saw "Gettysburg," I find out there is a movie called "Gods and Generals." It didn't get great reviews and as I wanted to see something just as good, if not better, than "Gettysburg" I decided not to watch it. So, the other day I am in a store and I come across a DVD Double Feature which includes both "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" - took me a few minutes but I broke down and purchased it. I watched "Gods and Generals" last night...unbelievable!!!

Generals is a prequel to "Gettysburg" Daniels was in this movie reprising his role as Chamberlain which I was thoroughly looking forward to. As this movie did not get the critical acclaim as its predecessor, I was not expecting much. Let me tell you, this is an absolutely phenomenal movie!!! It is beautifully shot, great acting, and Stephen Lang as "Stonewall" Jackson was ridiculously phenomenal. This movie should have been called "Stonewall." The only other movie I saw Lang in is the essential "Tombstone" playing Ike Clanton. In Generals, Lang absolutely shines and I found a new favorite actor. This movie is to Lang what "Gettysburg" was to Daniels for me. Those movies definitely had me sitting up and taking notice of these actors.

Now, everyone knows the fundamental, basic, elementary reasons why the Civil War occurred. Americans fighting Americans, a nation divided, the tagline for the trailer states it quite well: "They carried the same Bible. They believed in the same God. One side fought for God's glory. The other for His kingdom on Earth. But for the duration of the war...God refused to take sides." Some of the scenes in this movie are incredible, some are heart wrenching. The most heart-wrenching scene for me to watch was when the Union Irish Brigade was ordered forward at Fredricksburg, coincidentally, straight into the Confederate Irish Brigade out of Georgia. As Sergeant Kilraine put it, "Some of the lads I left Ireland with are on the other side as well. Imagine that. We left together to escape tyranny...and end up shooting at each other in the land of the free." The commander for the Confederate Irish Brigade cried during hostilities.

Some heart-warming scenes were the scenes between Stonewall and a 5-year girl named Jane, especially during Christmas, 1862. And my personal fave - when Confederate soldier "Johnny Reb," crosses a shallow river to trade coffee for tobacco with Union soldier, "Billy Yank," again during Christmas 1862. And of course, watching Daniels was particularly nice as he does have some great scenes in this movie.

Now, as much as I loved this movie, and I truly did, as it kept me up late into the night. This movie is close to four hours long; didn't seem like four hours to me. But, as much as I loved this movie, I can't imagine why it didn't get better reviews. The only thing I can think of is that this movie is heavily "slanted" toward the confederate side - heavily "slanted." Now, I am not going to mix politics, religion, or anything like that when I talk about movies, but this truly is a very, very good movie and I can not recommend it more highly. Especially to military historians, aficionados, Civil War buffs, or anyone with a slight interest in the topic. Great war scenes, not bloody, but fiercely accurate (or so I believe).

I will soon be watching Gettysburg and the Ken Burns Civil War documentary. I am fiercely interested in learning more about the Civil War.

Hit me up with any questions, comments, trivia, etc. Cheers!!!

No comments: