Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Valkyrie

Good Morning!!! Yes, yes...it's been a while since the last post and I actually have three topics of discussion to post, just been...ummm...lazy, for lack of better word...

Well, I saw the new teaser trailer this morning for a small gem of a movie called, "Valkyrie." While I am a big fan of WWII movies, I am a bigger fan of WWII movies which are focused on a small team or a special mission, i.e. "The Dirty Dozen," "Saving Private Ryan," "The Guns of Navarone," or even "Force 10 from Navarone."

Valkyrie is based on the true story of an assassination attempt on Hitler. It stars Tom Cruise. I can't say that I am a huge fan of Cruise, but he does make some damn good movies - "War of the Worlds" or "Mission Impossible III" (caveat - Simon Pegg's small role was phenomenal in MI III). Not the greatest movies, but good entertainment. Also making appearances in this movie are Bill Nighy (of Underworld) and one of my fave actors, Terrence Stamp (Superman II, Young Guns, Episode I: The Phantom Menace). Looks to be solid fare directed Bryan Singer who also directed one of my Top 20 faves, "The Usual Suspects."

While writing about the genre, one movie I watched a few years ago and actually loved was this movie called, "The Eagle Has Landed," starring Michael Caine and Robert Duval. It's about the Germans attempt to assassinate Winston Churchill during WWII. Michael Caine's character leads his team of professionals into a town where...well, you'll just have to see the movie. You may just find yourself pulling for the Germans...

Check out Valkyrie: http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/valkyrie/

Hit me up with any comments, questions, trivia, etc. Cheers!!!

No comments: